Wednesday 5 November 2014

Nanaimo City Council candidates: Arts questionnaire

The Nanaimo Arts Council posed three questions to candidates in the current civic election.

1. Do you support City of Nanaimo funding for the proposed Community Performing Arts Centre at the Port Theatre, contingent on funding being found from other government bodies and sponsors as well? Why or why not?

2. Do you think the City of Nanaimo has a role to play in supporting the arts in Nanaimo? If so, what is that role? If not, why?

3. Please tell us about one memorable arts event you attended or participated in. What made it memorable?  

Below are the answers received so far, in the order in which they were received. We will continue to post answers as they are submitted. A list of candidates who have not yet responded is at the end of this page.
___

Name: Wendy Pratt (Candidate for Councillor)
wpratt@shaw.ca 

1. Yes - I fully support this and believe it will only enhance what the Port has to offer including more live theatre.

2. Yes I do, however I also feel that those who specifically support the arts need to be very proactive in supporting this aspect of our community as well. I think what they have done in supporting the Port through the Community Performing Arts Centre is one way that really works - equal partnership.

3. There are far too many to pick one. I have been going to the Port since it opened and have enjoyed everything I have attended. As well the Port supported Hospice for their Spirit of Ireland events and also Country Christmas more recently. My kids and grandkids have enjoyed events there. I love the artists in downtown Nanaimo day, where many artists come out for the day and paint or draw. I love the artwork in Maffeo Sutton. I have attended many Theatre One productions and also gone to the Old Bailey Theatre. Although it isn't in Nanaimo, I have to say some of the most memorable theatre events have occurred there. But I remember many years ago the Port putting on a theatre production about how coal mining started here in Nanaimo and in particular Robert Dunsmuir's role in that. I love the new look of the Art Gallery downtown and am happy it is all going to be in one location (and not as inaccessible as it is right now being at VIU). I can't wait for that to expand, but am very pleased with what we presently have. I love that the arts community supports itself in more efficient ways by sharing space in the downstairs area of the Art Gallery. I love that we have the ArtLab. It's all good and needed in this community.
___

Name: Diane Brennan (Candidate for Councillor)
dianebrennan@shaw.ca

1. Yes. The Community Performing Arts Centre is a much needed component of the Port Theatre and important to all the performance arts in the community. We have wanted a rehearsal hall since the Port Theatre opened and this expansion will make that a reality and more. If the fundraising works, and I have no reason to disbelieve this, then the City will have a $13M facility for $4.6 at the most.

2. Yes, I strongly believe the City has a role to play in supporting the arts. Support can be in a variety of ways, but primarily I see it as supporting with city funds and supporting the vision as it is taken forward to senior levels of government. Every civilization in history has nourished arts and culture because it is what makes a people what they are. 

3. I love small community theatre. I have attended * several Schmooze Productions at what is now the Harbour City Theatre, (recent examples La Cage Aux Folles, Spamalot) * several Nanaimo Theatre Group productions (recent examples Cabaret, The Foreigner) * Port Theatre (many over the years but not this year)
___

Name: Ted Greves (Candidate for Councillor)
tgreves@shaw.ca

1. I voted for the $4.6 million in grant money and the City funding any shortfall.

2. Yes, we have. I voted for the Art Gallery expansion and repairs to 25 Victoria.

3. Can't think of any at the moment.
___

Name: Geraldine Manson (Candidate for Councillor)
geraldinemanson66@gmail.com 

1. Yes I support the City of Nanaimo funding the proposed Community performing arts Centre at the Port Theatre, the space is needed; there is more and more users coming downtown – young artist performers as well and we need to support growth

2.  Yes, the City certainly has a role in supporting the arts in Nanaimo, more so today, as we have more young people interested in performing arts Theatre, it’s a growing industry

3.  The one with Paul Manly “Voices of the River” film the documentary that he on the Nanaimo River; where stakeholders such as the Gov’ts/citizens/and private land owners came together to discuss protection issues for the watershed – creeks, streams that flow into the river and estuary along with the water supply. He even met with Elders and leadership of Snuneymuxw knowing that the River flows right through into the traditional territory lands. Powerful film to get the attention of all stakeholders
___

Name: Fred Pattje (Candidate for Councillor)
fredpattje@shaw.ca

1)  Yes and wholeheartedly!  The shortage of proper small rehearsal spaces in this City needs to be addressed and this proposed addition to the Port Theatre will do that. The small and flexible seating (50-230) proposed for the Community Performing Arts Centre will allow for many desired and affordable performances.

2) Most definitely. It was the City's 2012-2015 Strategic Plan which added Cultural Vitality as the fourth pillar of sustainability, next to economy, environment and social equity. From this flowed " A Cultural Plan for a Creative Nanaimo", which specifically talks about this particular addition to the Port Theatre.  The Nanaimo Economic Development Corporation, in its 2013 study, indicated a direct economic impact of $93 million
for the Arts and Culture sector with indirect and induced impact adding an additional $60 million to the provincial economy, for a combined total $153 million.
If the City is to be successful in attracting and retaining the kind of industry/business that we want and need, we must have amenities in place that will people want to come here and this addition is just one more reason that they will!  Lastly, this will be a City-owned facility and when the City can assist in leveraging other funding it must do so.

3) There of course are many, I love music and plays, but the last Malaspina Choir performance I attended had me just about in tears, and I don't do that easily!

___

Name: Tali Campbell (Candidate for Councillor)
Tali@TaliCampbell.ca

1. Yes!! This morning I met with Bruce from the Port Theatre and I am excited to this expansion to the Port Theatre and I have met with Holly Bright from Crimson Coast Dance Society, VI Symphony, etc and support our community getting more involved in the Arts, Culture and Performing Arts scene here in Nanaimo.

2. Yes, our goal is to support the groups in the future. The role I see is like the one we are doing with the Port Theatre and assisting them in their expansions and supporting the arts by offering grant applications for all.

3. I have attended a few events at the Port Theatre and Crimson Coast, one of my memories though is getting the opportunity to interview/meet Allysa Reid and Neverest when I was in Grade 11 for my school newspaper. I know it's not a major memory, but for me as an aspiring journalist that in my mind was a story that stands out for me.
___

Name: Jim Taylor (Candidate for Councillor)
JimTaylorForCouncil@yahoo.ca

1. As I understand the deal, the City would fund $4.5 million for a total project of $12 million, which when complete becomes the property of the City. On that basis I would support the proposal. I would prefer this and other decisions to have gone to referendum to determine the support of the community.

2. I believe the City does have a role in supporting the arts, and it presently is demonstrating that support with the Port Theatre, the Museum, the Art Gallery etc.and many other grants which aid a wide variety of the 'arts and culture' community. 

3. We attended the Chinese Circus at the Port Theatre recently and will be attending the Christmas performance by the VI Symphony.
____

Name: Stephen Cochrane (Candidate for Councillor)
Slcochrane67@gmail.com 

1. I am in support of funding a balanced approach of arts, recreation, culture, parks so that all residents of Nanaimo have access to those aspects that they are interested in. We should make attempts to access grants or outside sources of funding before looking at the city "footing the bill" for the whole project

2.  Yes the city has a role in supporting the arts, culture, environment , recreation because that's what a healthy city does. Each issue deserves equal opportunity to gain access to support after attempting to sustain their own need.

3. 2 things: watching my then 6 year old daughter float accross the stage for her final dance recital in ballet. Seeing my son graduate from high school. Being a proud parent on both occasions knowing how difficult it was to get out on the big stage and how much work when into each performance by them as well as the people who were the supporting cast
___

Name: Brian Anderson (Candidate for Councillor)
anderson.brian@telus.net  

1. Yes, it is needed in the community and arts and culture are important to our quality of life.

2.  Yes, we have an arts & culture master plan so it is already important. I would like to see more funding for art in public spaces and streetscapes, similar to that in Kelowna.

3. Dracula put on by the Royal Winnipeg Ballet was my first ballet and I attended as I was on the Board of TheatreOne, the sponsor, and I was blown away. There have been more than one. 
 ___

Name: Alisha Neumann (Candidate for Mayor)
aneumann@live.ca

1. Yes, I do. I think that it is important to support the Arts and having a Community Performing Arts Center will provide Port Theater with a sense of purpose and perhaps the community will be able to attend more functions in it.

2. I do think that the City of Nanaimo has a role in supporting the arts in Nanaimo. There are SO many talented people in Nanaimo and on the Island. This should be showcased and if it was done in the correct manner would provide quite a bit of tourism for Nanaimo.

3. I remember in Prince George there was a National Exhibition being presented at the Art Gallery. The piece that was the most effort was basically two flat rocks, but they had to be placed, so the shadow could be seen just so. We had to look at it at different times a day to make sure it did nto shift with the tilt of the Earth. It made me chuckle when people walked by it and thought it was "only" two rocks.
___


Name: Gordon Fuller (Candidate for Councillor)
gorfathome@yahoo.ca  

1. Yes. Because it puts the onus on the Arts Community to coming up with 2 thirds of the funding for the project.

2.  Yes. I believe the City can offer many means of supporting the Arts not all requiring tax payer funding. Just what these means would be, grants advertising etc., I would have to find out.

3. Define 'Arts Event.' I look at the many festivals and free events as being Arts events and have enjoyed many of them over the years; just wish there were more.
___

Name: Karen Hovestad (Candidate for Councillor)
hovestad.anewvoice@gmail.com

1. Yes

2. Yes, one of the 4 pillars of a healthy city is arts and culture. Also, I suggest as recipients of the Cultural Capital designation we received a few years ago, we have a responsibility to continue to support the arts community.

3.  I don't think I could pick just one! There have been so many events that I have attended that filled me with inspiration or information and know that we cannot allow the arts to be neglected for we would risk the heart of our community. My younger daughter did an internship with Theatre One and also worked with Theatre BC and was saddened by how hard people who are dedicated to the arts community work and how little they are paid. Her experience was a testimony to their passion.
___

Name: Gail Adrienne (Candidate for Councillor)
gailadrienneforcouncil@gmail.com

1. I still do not have a clear sense of what a Community Performing Arts Centre will add to the Port Theatre beyond what the Port already provides. I have been disappointed thus far that the Port Theatre does not offer actual "theatre" opportunities. We still have to drive to Chemanus, or further, or crowd into the VIU theatre or a high school gymnasium to see student productions. Will this new addition bring theatre productions to Nanaimo, pr at least provide a quality venue for local productions? If so, I would support it - but ONLY if it is contingent on a significant amount of the funding being found from other sources.

2. Yes, I do. Arts and culture are an important part of every community. Most important, however, is that the arts offered in a community be affordable and accessible for all residents.

3. THe summer symphony in Maffeo Sutton Park. The presentations(especially the 2014 event) have been lively, diverse and eclectic - they engage all ages and all musical tastes - and they are affordable and accessible to all.
___

Name: Jim Routledge (Candidate for Councillor)
Jim@routledgehomes.com  

1. Yes- matching funds is nice

2.  Yes- balanced support for culture along with sport and other broad based initiatives


3. 5440, Brian Adams, Steve Earle, symphony, jesse Cooke, Natalie McMaster etc etc etc - thanks
___

Name: Brunie Brunie (Candidate for Mayor)
bruniebrunie@hotmail.com

I was in meeting where city supported you.  I have heard some grumbling about expenditure and hereby commpletly support all forms of art and culture The creative proccess our greatest gift that raises our barbaric nature. Did poetry last culture day gone to theater..dance...would like to make culture affordable ...
___

Name: Jim Goldsack (Candidate for Councillor)
jimgoldsack@gmail.com

1. I could only support this providing there is a City Budget plan in place that would support the funding. I would also want to know the long term effects to the taxpayer.

2.  Yes most definitely. Arts and Culture in any City gives a vibrancy to that City. The City of Nanaimo must support the Arts community through its strategic planning for the benefit of all.

3. The Buddy Holly Story with Zachary Stevenson. Great show.
___

Name: Paul Roland Gogo (Candidate for Councillor)
councillorgogo@shaw.ca 

1. YES, contingent to the other funding and sponsors. My parents were advocates of this theatre in the late 1950s. They paid taxes for half a century before they got to see it built. Nanaimo had an opera house in the 1800s, so new as this theatre is to us, theatre is nothing new to Nanaimo. I love the theatre. I like partnerships, and this one partners with two more levels of government. Many people do not wish to see a dime go into culture, yet perhaps those same people do like the idea of being a tourist destination. There are economic spin-offs, employment, hotels, parking and civic reputation in general. It makes a cooler town, and I bet that that in itself spins positive for The University, new workers and wealthy retirees, if that is what we want. There are some great hidden social benefits here as well. I would simply rather see young people singing, dancing and putting on plays than forming street gangs. Not everyone is going to drawn into sports. Nanaimo has 26 sports fields, 30 baseball diamonds, 3 arenas and two theatres. We want to be The Cultural Capital ? I know a musician that played Edmonton last week and saw 14 Nanaimo musicians there over the weekend. We breed artists here, and it is not a bad thing. I sang at a seniors residence yesterday. Being that I am politically-minded, I asked the group of about 50 octogenarians "Do you feel that the taxpayers of Nanaimo should support culture, such as The Port Theatre ?" The answer was a unanimous YES.

2. The role of City Council is in fostering the social, economic and environmental well-being for our community. People must be safe, secure and happy. If we were to shun the arts, we would also have to shun sports. Some suggestions, however.... a) Put a big marquee in front of the theatre, so we can see who is playing there ! Come on ! Put the stars names in lights !!!!......like any successful theatre. I insist on this one. b) Some folks are not happy that they subsidize the theatre yet can not afford to go to shows. Well, there are events complimentary to the public, lets promote those strongly so every tax-payer is compelled to go enjoy this fabulous facility ! c) Commercialize it. I have talked-this-up around town, and not everyone likes the idea, and we may not need to go so far as to convince some big Jimmy Pattison to hang some billboards on it to help our operating costs, but we can sell some form of advertising. While we are at it, do the same with the Aquatic centre. You don't like this idea ? Well it may satisfy tax-paying theatre opponents, almost as much as the next one : d) Get some huge corporation to put their name in lights and renme the facility. Like....oh, "The Rogers Center"...."The Save On Foods Memorial Arena"....you do not see the signs when viewing an actual performance, so the art itself is not compromised. Calm the critics, and on with the show !!!!

3.  I have been a full-time professional musician or the last 30 years (since I turned 18). I play major theatres coast to coast every yer. The best event of last year was when my dad, the Late Ken Gogo received the first ever lifetime achievement in the arts award fro The City of Nanaimo. I got to arrange a special epic musical presentation, with flute, sitar, upright bass and beatnik vocal rant.....ending with a mob of guitarists playing the Hukilau ! Once in a lifetime and only here in my hometown of Nanaimo ! Makes me VERY proud !!! So....Thank you !!!!
___

Name: Bill Holdom (Candidate for Mayor)
billholdom@shaw.ca 

1. Yes. I think it is finally time to complete the original concept of the Port Theatre, which envisioned this additional facility. I also like the idea of using local funds to leverage the majority of needed funds from other sources -- outside money that would otherwise not come to Nanaimo. We get the "biggest bang for our buck" this way. Finally, investment in the arts is an economic driver that makes an ongoing contribution to the vibrancy of our economy.

2.  Yes. To me, that role is primarily the provision of arts infrastructure -- performing venues, art galleries, display sites -- just as we provide ice rinks, fields, and swimming pools for sports. To a significant degree, a community's artistic expressions help define that community. Nanaimo should be known not only for its setting, institutions, sports teams, and businesses, but also for its performances, sculptures, and paintings.

3.  So hard to choose just one -- memories of Joelle Rabu, Shakespeare Plus performances, and the play about Nanaimo's Chinatown fire come to mind. So many performances have been uplifting, inspiring, moving. But perhaps the most memorable for me recently was attending this year's Kirkwood Dance Academy presentations at the Port Theatre that included performances by my grand-daughter. That event reminded me of watching my daughter perform a recorder duet with her teacher many years ago in St Andrew's Church downtown. Community-based performances are often just as meaningful to us as the big events.
___

Name: Ian Thorpe (Candidate for Councillor)
ianthorpe@shaw.ca

1. Yes, I do support City of Nanaimo funding the the proposed Performing Arts Centre at the Port Theatre contingent upon funding being first found from other sources. There is a need for practice and performance space for various groups to use, and creating space at the Port Theatre is the most logical place for it. In the long term it will be more cost effective than trying to maintain older facilities, and will provide all groups with a true "centre" in town for performing arts.

2.  Yes, I think the City of Nanaimo has a role to play in supporting the arts in Nanaimo. As stated in the 2012-15 Strategic Plan, Culture is one of the pillars of our city - along with economy, environment, and social equity. The City has a responsibility to support all of those pillars, and cultural vitality is important to vibrant, successful city. Part of the City's role would be to promote cultural tourism in Nanaimo along with sports tourism. The City can provide a degree of economic support through grants and matching funds when possible, and can show further support of the arts through recognition events such as the cultural awards which are presented annually.

3. I have attended numerous arts events at various locations in town, but mainly at the Port Theatre for symphony or other visiting musical performers. What makes those events memorable is the excitement of a community event being enjoyed by a large audience in a first-class facility.
___

Name: Gary Korpan (Candidate for Mayor)
garykorpan@shaw.ca 


1. I am not opposed to the Theatre Society raising funds (as they did for the original Theatre itself where the City taxpayers main contribution was the land on which it sits, and the water, storm, & sewers utilities. The vast amount of capital came from private donors, corporate, and senior government grants. After it was constructed the City covered operational costs like any other City facility. It was probably one of the best deals in our history.) for a rehearsal hall, if that is important to them...but not on the backs of City taxpayers. The recent decision was an abuse of process, a backroom fix, as the item on the agenda was merely to receive the update of their fundraising efforts, NOT to approve any obligation for City funding. Out of the blue the obligation was moved & adopted, with almost no debate. It bypassed normal, prudent budgeting, and public input on priorities. This was done after postponing, yet again, the next fire hall in the Fire Plan. (Something most would consider a higher priority.) To step back and have a full, open debate is why I said I would rescind that motion. It is a matter of due process, informed debate, fair prioritization, reasonable budgeting, & responsible spending. I trust this better clarifies my position. The Port Theatre Society did an excellent process originally, I'm confident they can do it again, without burdening local taxpayers.

2.  The best role is for citizens to participate directly. Much like religion, funding the arts should largely be done by individuals making their own informed choice to contribute. The municipality, should assist on arts priorities only when determined through a core review-like due process with wide spread community debate as to what constitutes a true need and priority, and only when co-funders (individuals, corporations, senior governments, etc.) contribute the bulk of capital funding. As was done in the original theatre funding process...and as should be done on any future sports facility as well. Predominant municipal capital funding should be limited to emergency, public safety, & basic infrastructure necessities. We cannot afford all the funding demands currently. That is why I commit to Stop the Spending Spree and full core reviews of all City functions, processes, and facilities to ensure your tax money is well spent. All organizations receiving tax subsidies will undergo a hard audit to ensure they truly deserve your money. I will use the Mayor's authority to have all questionable funding decisions and budget line items reconsidered by a recorded vote in open session. We'll know exactly who wastes your tax money and who acts to ensure you get good value.

3.  Attending the opening of the Port Theatre as the Mayor who championed it (I still have the political scars to show for my support.) and ensured it had excellent acoustics was most memorable. Mind you, the many Vancouver Island Symphony concerts come a close second. Ask me sometime to tell you how they initially refused to re-locate to the Port Theatre and how I "convinced" them that it was to be their new home.
___

Name: Bill McKay (Candidate for Mayor)
bill@billmckay.ca 

1. As you may know, I voted against the funding because of the way it was brought off the floor at a council meeting with no notice. Not only do we not know whether this will be funded by other government entities, the city has no idea how we intend to fund our share of the commitment. Senior staff was not consulted before we were asked to vote, so the only way this could move forward would be to increase taxes. That said, I feel the community at large should have a say in the ultimate decision on the funding of this initiative, as this project would increase taxes by 2.2% over three years.

2. Yes, we have the role of being a facilitator between funding organizations, arts and culture groups and the community. As the recently adopted Cultural Plan evolves, we will all learn the roles and responsibilites of the city may change.

3. I recently attended an event called the Dam Poets and Dam Artists Cultural Days, that was very engaging. I learned that the term "lout" is now being used amongst theatre groups across the world to describe the people who saved the Colliery Dams in Nanaimo
___


Name: Ian thompson (Candidate for Councillor)
Ian@thehbtgroup.com 

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. The symphony presentation of Elton John music
___

Name: Mike Horn (Candidate for Councillor)
mikehorn.horn@gmail.com

1. Yes. That building was originally meant to have the extra space. We are just completing the original vision.

2. Of course. Democracy and Theater grew up in the same time and place. That wasn't a coincidence. the connection between free speech and creative speech is too close for one to be taken for granted.

3.The opening to the current season at the Nanaimo Theater Group. My father took me to see the Foreigner. It was a very political show about racism and several councillors were in attendance.  

Have not yet responded:

Jack Arnold (Candidate for Councillor)
Bill Bestwick (Candidate for Councillor)
Fred Brooks (Candidate for Councillor)
Leon Cake (Candidate for Councillor)
Kevin Cantelon (Candidate for Councillor)
Kendal Csak (Candidate for Mayor)
Scott Henderson (Candidate for Councillor)
Jerry Hong (Candidate for Councillor)
Jim Kipp (Candidate for Councillor)
Roger McKinnon (Candidate for Mayor)
John Ruttan (Candidate for Mayor)
Al Thompson (Candidate for Mayor)
Bill Yoachim (Candidate for Councillor)